2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 cup milk, room temperature
6 egg whites, room temperature (about 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (I use vegetable shortening to grease the pans and then all-purpose flour to coat.)
2. In a medium bowl, mix the room temperature milk and egg whites along with the vanilla and almond extracts until blended.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the bowl then cut in the by hand (a pastry blender works well!) until the butter pieces are the size of small peas.
4. Add the milk mixture and beat on medium speed just until combined. Remember, over mixing the cake batter results in a dense cake.
5. Pour the batter evenly between the two cake pans.
6. Bake at 350 for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cakes.
7. Cool the cakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto plates and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cool the cakes to room temperature before icing.